From the Manufacturer:
The convenience of a zoom lens enables photographers to capture various subjects without the need to change lenses. The 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM is a very handy zoom lens that covers thebasic shooting range from wide to mid-telephoto. Moreover, its constant aperture of F4, OS (Optical Stabilizer) and HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) enhances the lens’ usability. It is ideal for portraits, landscapes and general photography.
Standard lenses with a high zoom ratio tend to show astigmatic aberration,field curvature, distortions and color aberration. In order to compensate for these, various types of high-performance lenses, such as FLD, SLD and glass-molded aspheric lenses (including a double-sided aspheric lens), have been included into the optical system. In addition, this lens suppresses chromatic aberration very effectively at telephoto-end, and achieves superior image quality throughout the zoom range. This lens overcomes the low peripheral brightness that is common for those lenses with similar specifications. This lens also incorporates an OS system which offers superior stabilization, making it possible to compensate for camera shake even in macro range photography where a small blur can be easily identified.
Flare and ghosting were thoroughly measured and monitored from an early stage in the lenses development to establish an optical design which is resistant to strong incidental light such as backlight. The Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting and provides sharp and high contrast images even in backlit conditions.Other Features:
- Short minimum focusing distance: With a minimum focusing distance of 45cm and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:4.6, this lens is excellent for close-up photography.
- Hyper Sonic Motor: The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) ensures a silent, high-speed AF function. It also enables full-time manual focusing capability which allows sensible focus adjustment by simply rotating the focus ring.
- Rounded diaphragm: The 9 blade rounded diaphragm creates an attractive round bokeh at large-aperture settings.
- Design concept: This lens incorporates rubber for the attachment part of the provided lens hood. For better usability, the designs of the lens cap and AF/MF changeover switch have been improved from previous models. In order to ensure high accuracy, all metallic and TSC (Thermally Stable Composite) parts are housed internally.
- Brass made bayonet mount: This lens incorporates a brass made bayonet mount which has both high accuracy and durability. A special treatment to reinforce its strength is applied to the surface, giving it greater strength and making it ideal for long-term use.