Why we love the X100S: It's cool. It makes amazing images. Like the FUJIFILM X100 before it, the X100S sits right at the intersection of functionality, superb image quality, and classic styling. With improved autofocus and the new Digital Split Image, how can you not love this camera?
The much-anticipated successor to the prestigious X100, the X100S combines a beautifully designed compact camera body with several new performance features. Its high-performance, Fujinon 23mm f/2 fixed prime lens is now supported by a higher-definition Hybrid Viewfinder, as well as a new 16.3-megapixel X-Trans CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II.
What much of this means to consumers is autofocusing in as little as 0.08 seconds, increased resolution by 25% and reduced noise by more than 30%. The X100S sports an impressive start-up time of approximately 0.5 seconds and a shooting interval of 0.5 seconds. This coupled with a shutter-time lag of 0.01 seconds allows you to capture the precise moment you want.
Another new feature is its Digital Split Image that enables extremely accurate focusing when working manually or with large apertures and shooting macro. Its Focus Peak Highlight function shows you precisely which area of your composition is in focus.
The X100Ss Hybrid Viewfinder allows you to choose between optical and electronic viewfinders. The optical viewfinder (OVF) offers bright viewing and eliminates any time lag issues, while the electronic viewfinder (EVF) allows you to check focus, exposure, white balance and depth of field.
In addition to featuring the same elegant details and classic intuitive controls of the X100, the X100S also incorporates a Q (Quick) button which allows you to quickly call up frequently used menu items such as ISO setting, Film Simulation modes and Advanced Filter function, which add to your creative-control capabilities.
Finally, the X100S allows you to shoot at 60 fps during Full HD video recording as well as the high bit-rate of 36Mbps with reduced noise and enhanced image quality.From the Manufacturer:Features:
- Large APS-C X-Trans CMOS II Sensor: OLPF-less architecture and the original pixel array are the keys to resolution rivaling a full-size sensor. Also the unique integration of phase detection pixels in the array contributes to the dramatic leap in AF speed. The extreme resolution of FUJIFILM's bespoke APS-C 16M X-Trans CMOS II sensor with OLPF-less architecture. The clarity of the signal achieved by the optimization of every aspect of its processing circuitry. The enhanced image quality produced by the powerful EXR Processor II.
- Advanced technology transfers the power of the lens into true-to-life photos: X-Trans CMOS II incorporates an original color filter array with a highly random pattern, eliminating the need for an optical low-pass filter (OLPF). These filters are used in conventional systems to inhibit moiré at the expense of resolution. The X-Trans CMOS II array lets the sensor capture unfiltered light from the lens, achieving an unprecedented level of resolution.
In addition, utilizing the enhanced performance of the EXR Processor II, Lens Modulation Optimizer (LMO) factors are calculated to compensate for aberrations and diffraction blur that occur when light passes through the lens and then are applied to produce images with amazing sharpness.
- High Speed Auto Focus and Quick Response: Equipped with both the super fast phase detection AF system, and contrast AF for accurate focusing in dark scenes, Intelligent Hybrid AF instantly switches to the optimal focusing system. Applying the fastest algorithm depending on the subject and scene, Intelligent Hybrid AF can bring your subject into focus in the blink of an eye — only 0.08 sec. at its fastest speed so those priceless moments will never escape your lens.
- EXR Processor II — Double the processing speed of the previous generation: The image processing power of the newly developed EXR Processor II not only produces images with increased resolution and higher quality at higher speeds, but also accelerates operational responses. Adoption of a dual CPU and increased clock frequency elevate performance to about twice the processing speed of the previous generation processor. These improvements also speed up operation, reducing start-up time to only approx. 0.5 sec. Working in tandem with the high-speed signal readout of the X-Trans CMOS II sensor, the processor reduces the shooting interval to 0.5sec, and raises the maximum continuous shooting speed to 6fps.
- Hybrid Viewfinder: There's an indescribable pleasure that peering through a viewfinder provides. And now Fujifilm have taken this further with the launch of the newly developed Hybrid Viewfinder. Whether you're framing your shot through the Optical Viewfinder (OVF), or Electronic Viewfinder (EVF), your eye will not only see the subject and scene, but also a range of shooting data projected by an integrated high-definition LCD panel. This perfect marriage of intuitive analog operation and state-of-the-art digital functionality gives birth to the discovery of new dimensions of enjoyment behind the lens of the ultimate compact. When using the EVF, you will enjoy 100% coverage on a sharp image display delivered by a 0.48-inch high-definition LCD delivering 2,360K-dot of resolution. From precision framing of macro shots with “Live View” to quick post-shot reviewing of your results, the EVF is ready with its vividly accurate display whenever you need it.
- 23mm F2 Single Focal Length Lens: The best image quality without compromise, packed into a slim compact body that you want to take everywhere with you... These were the aims when the FUJIFILM X100S was being developed. And they have been achieved through the incorporation of a newly developed, non-interchangeable, non-collapsible, fixed focal length lens. While featuring the generous brightness of a maximum F2 aperture, the large-diameter rear lens group is integrated into the body for an ultra-slim profile. In addition, the optimization of the sensor for this special lens fully exploits the advantage of a fixed focal length lens for superior edge-to-edge image quality.
- High Performance LCD Monitor: 2.8-inch, 460K-dot LCD with High Contrast, High Brightness and the convenience of a Wide Viewing Angle On the LCD, you can view the same image displayed in the electronic viewfinder. You can also switch it to show a simple shooting data display.
- Enjoy the exceptional definition of Full HD Movie Shooting!: Full HD Movie (1920 x 1080) mode offers 60fps for smoother capture of the action in full high definition detail. Shooting movies at the high bit-rate 36Mbps results in enhanced image quality and clarity that reveals every detail from individual leaves in the trees to subtle changes in facial expression. You can also take advantage of Monochrome and the vivid color expression of other Film Simulation modes, and exploit the brightness of the lens to shoot movies with a stunning “bokeh” effect.