The H4D-40 sets the standard for camera handling, image detail and image resolution. With a 40 megapixel sensor it provides the basis for outstanding image quality based upon the high performance HC/HCD lens line. With its unique bright viewfinders, its wide range of quality lenses matching even the best of the icon lenses from Carl Zeiss, and its wide choice of accessories, the H4D-40 is the ultimate camera choice for the professional photographer. The H4D-40 features True Focus with APL (Absolute Position Lock), refining the auto-focus system for accurate composing at close range with shallow depth-of-field. For developing your creative expression the H4D-40 takes full advantage of the Hasselblad HTS 1.5 tilt/shift adapter.
Medium Format digital capture advantage
In digital photography, the advantages of large format cameras have become even more obvious. The basic 6×4.5 cm design allows the H4D-40 to use one of the largest image sensors currently available in digital photography. The H4D-40 features CCD sensor measuring 33.1 × 44.2mm - almost twice the physical size of the largest 35mm DSLR sensors. Consequently the sensor holds more and larger pixels, which deliver the highest possible image quality in terms of moiré-free color rendering without gradation break-ups in even the finest lit surfaces. Basic ISO rating is from ISO 100 to ISO 1600.
The H4D-40 makes use of a new high speed capture architecture capturing full size, compressed 50MB images at the rate of 1.1 seconds per capture, working either mobile or tethered to a computer.The combination of these features makes the H4D-40 the natural choice for the professional commercial photographer wanting to work with the highest image quality within a camera system that supports ultimate creative expression in order to deliver outstanding images to satisfy the most demanding customer.
An impressive lens line outperforming the Carl Zeiss icons
The highly renowned HC/HCD lens line (lenses sold seperately) includes 11 Auto-Focus lenses, all with central lens shutters. Range is from 28mm to 300mm, 50-110mm zoom, 35-90mm zoom and 1.7X converter. The built-in central lens shutter allows flash to be used at all shutter speeds down to 1/800s. It also improves image quality by reducing camera vibration.
The HTS 1.5 tilt/shift adapter delivers an easy to use, portable tilt/shift solution for 5 HC/HCD lenses ranging from 28mm to 100mm. The CF adapter allows use of the classic CF-lenses from the Hasselblad V-camera, with full use of their central shutters, allowing flash to be employed at shutter speeds down to 1/500s. And thanks to the large format of the H System cameras, there is a considerably shallower depth of field range, making it much easier to utilize selective focus to creative effect.
A choice of bright viewfinders
One of the important traditional advantages of the medium format is the extra-large and bright viewfinder image, enabling extremely precise compositions and easy operation in dim lighting. The H4D-40 comes with the HVD 90x viewfinder designed for full performance over the large sensor. Hasselblad has added an interchangeable waist-level viewfinder, the HVM, for the entire range of H system cameras. The bright and large viewfinder image is ideal for creative composing and the photographer is able to shoot in the fashion that suits them most; maintaining eye contact with the model, or gaining impact by shooting from a point lower than eye-level, for example.
Hasselblad’s unique natural colors
Hasselblad’s Natural Color Solution (HNCS) enables you to produce outstanding and reliable out-of-the-box colors, with skin tones, specific product colors and other difficult tones reproduced easily and effectively.In order to incorporate our new unique HNCS and DA C-features we have developed a custom Hasselblad raw file format called 3F RAW (3FR). This file format includes lossless image compression, which reduces the required storage space by 33%. The 3FR files can be converted into Adobe’s raw image format DNG (‘Digital Negative’), bringing this technology standard to the professional photographer for the first time. In order to utilize DA C and optimize the colors of the DNG file format,conversion from 3FR must take place through Phocus.
True Focus and Absolute Position Lock
True Focus helps solve one of the most lingering challenges that faces serious photographers today: true, accurate focusing throughout the image field. Without multi-point auto-focus a typical autofocus camera can only correctly measure focus on a subject that is in the center of the image. When a photographer wants to focus on a subject outside the center area, they have to lock focus on the subject and then re-compose the image. In short distances especially, this re-composing causes focus error, as the plane of focus sharpness follows the camera’s movement, perpendicular to the axis of the lens.
The traditional solution for most DSLR cameras has been to equip the camera with a multi-point AF sensor. These sensors allow the photographer to fix an off-center focus point on an off-center subject,which is then focused correctly. Such multi-point AF solutions are often tedious and inflexible to work with. Due to the physics of an SLR-camera, the off-center focus points that are offered are all clustered relatively close to the center of the image. To set focus outside of this center area, the photographer is still forced to focus first, and then shift the camera to reframe, with the resulting loss of focus as a result.
To overcome this problem, Hasselblad has used modern yaw rate sensor technology to measure angular velocity in an innovative way. The result is the new Absolute Position Lock (APL) processor, which forms the foundation of Hasselblad’s True Focus feature. The APL processor accurately logs camera movement during any re-composing, then uses these exact measurements to calculate the necessary focus adjustment, and issues the proper commands to the lens’s focus motor so it can compensate. The APL processor computes the advanced positional algorithms and carries out the required focus corrections at such rapid speed that no shutter lag occurs. The H4D’s firmware then further perfects the focus using the precise data retrieval system found on all HC/HCD lenses.
Instant Approval Architecture
Building on the success of the Audio Exposure Feedback technology, Hasselblad has created Instant Approval Architecture (IAA), an enhanced set of feedback tools, designed to enable the photographer to focus on the shoot rather than the selection process. IAA triggers audible and visual signals for each image captured, notifying the photographer immediately of its classification status. The information is recorded both in the file and in the file name, providing a quick and easy way to classify and select images, in the field or back at the studio. IAA is a Hasselblad trademark and Hasselblad
has a patent pending on the invention. Extra large 3” display on the H4D-40 provide a realistic, high quality and perfect contrast image view, even in bright sunlight.
Options for working with tilt/shift
Two basic options are available for tilt/shift work with H4D-40. A simple, portable adapter solution and the classic view camera solution. The HTS tilt/shift adapter for H4D-60 allows for portable tilt/shift with the HC/HCD lens range from 28mm to 100mm. To further increase usability, the H4D-60 has been designed to allow the digital capture unit to be detached and used on a view camera by way of an adapter.
Two modes of operation and storage
The H4D-40 offers a choice of storage devices: CF cards or a computer hard drive. With these operating and storage options, you are able to select a mode to suit the nature of the work in hand, whether in the studio or on location.
- Highest image resolution from 40 megapixel sensor
- The freedom to choose between eye-level and waist-level viewfinders
- The choice of combining point-and–shoot and tilt/shift to solve creative commercial challenges
- The ability to combine working tethered and un-tethered to get the most of your camera system both on location and in the studio
- The option of processing your raw images in Hasselblad’s Phocus imaging toolbox, or working with your raw images directly in Apple or Adobe imaging environments.
- Uncompromising image quality
- Special extended camera controls with which to operate your H4D-60 camera. These features, such as live video for easier shot set-up and workflow, or the ability to control the lens drive for focusing when the camera is in a remote position or when the digital capture unit is mounted on a view camera, bring an entirely new level of flexibility to the way you shoot.
- Moiré Removal Technology automatically applied directly on the raw data, leaving image quality intact and eliminating the need to carry out special masking selections or other manual procedures, saving hours of tedious post-production work.
- Flexible Workflow. The Phocus GUI features easy-to-use options that allow you to customize your set-up to suit a range of different workflow situations, such as choice of import source,browsing/comparison functions, file management, image export in a number of file formats, pre-setting of options for upcoming shoots, and much, much more.
- Metadata (GPS, etc). The extended metadata included in all Phocus images provides for accurate and detailed cataloguing and indexing, easy image management, and includes added GPS data functionality in order to allow a range of new functions. Phocus links GPS data directly to Google Earth, for example, making geographic reference a snap and image storage and retrieval much easier.
- Perfect Viewing Quality. The Phocus Viewer delivers image viewing quality that matches every detail of what you will see later in Photoshop. In addition, the Phocus Viewer allows you to customize layout and composition to suit your current or desired workflow, providing a wide range of options including full view, compare, browse, horizontal, or vertical view, and so on. You can have multiple folders open simultaneously for side-by-side viewing, comparison, and selection.
- H4D-40 Camera Body
- HV 90x-II Full Frame Viewfinder
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- Battery Charger
- Phocus Software
- FireWire Cable
- Lens Hood