With the introduction of its HDSLR cameras, Canon made tremendous inroads towards bringing the story-telling capabilities of video into the lives of still photographers. Based upon the core performance of the acclaimed EOS C300, the compact and easy-to-use EOS C100 represents another quantum leap in this direction for professionals who shoot without a crew or videographers entering the Cinema EOS system. This newly designed modular video camera is smaller and lighter than the C300, but brings together much of Canon’s renowned technology, including its 8.3-megapixel, Super 35mm CMOS Sensor, DIGIC DV III Image Processor and compatibility with their full range of EF, EF-S and EF Cinema lenses.
The EOS C100 records 1920 x 1080 Full HD movies to up to two SD cards at 25Mbps using an AVCHD codec for easy integration in existing production workflows. Support for 24/25/30p and 50/60i frame rates offer flexibility, while its impressive ISO range of 320 to 20,000 provides extensive exposure control and low noise in all lighting conditions. Expanded professional capabilities such as HDMI output with embedded Time Code, support for external recorders, remote operation and complete manual control over both video and audio recording.
One of the things that makes the EOS C100 an outstanding choice for videographers and still photographers is the amazing array of optical choices available, from fisheye to macro to super-telephoto focal lengths, with over 60 Canon EF lenses and Canon’s EF Cinema lenses.From the Manufacturer:
The Canon EOS C100 Digital Video Camera is the latest addition to the Cinema EOS family, bringing together the renowned technology of Canon CMOS sensors, DIGIC DV III Image Processor, and EF lens compatibility in a smaller, lighter body. Modular and compatible with a host of Canon and third-party accessories, the EOS C100 brings true cinema quality to independent event videographers and video production organizations.
The EOS C100 sports the Super 35mm Canon CMOS Sensor and Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor of the C300 and records at 24Mbps using an AVCHD codec for easy integration in existing production workflows. Operability and customization make the EOS C100 an ideal camera for one-person operation while providing expanded professional capabilities such as HDMI output with embedded Time Code, support for external recorders, remote operation, and complete manual control over both video and audio recording.
Pair the powerful and portable EOS C100 with the full range of Canon EF, EF-S and EF Cinema lenses, from fish-eye to macro to super telephoto, and make this expanded vista your new starting point on your cinematic adventure.Features:
- Canon Super 35mm CMOS Sensor: The EOS C100 is equipped with the advanced 16:9 Super 35mm Canon CMOS sensor. The large sensor format opens up cinematic vistas and permits a shallow depth-of-field for arresting images. The 8.3 megapixel sensor and its fine pixel pitch permit greater sensitivity in low light while minimizing noise. The EOS C100 captures Red, Green, and Blue channels independently for Full HD 1920x1080 video. The resulting picture features the color and image quality of a three-chip camera with a single sensor. The optimized pixel count allows the camera to avoid additive processing as a result of skipping lines during capture; sensor sensitivity is maintained and aliasing or other degradation of the image is prevented.
- Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor: Designed and built by Canon for the highest quality HD RGB processing, the DIGIC DV III Image Processor uses proprietary circuits and architecture to deliver exceptional image quality at the highest speeds, with low power consumption and minimal heat output. It processes the RGB image data—originating from the single CMOS sensor of the camera—into three channels (Red, Blue and Green) to maintain the rich resolution and clean color fidelity formerly possible only in three-chip sensor designs.
- Exceptional Low Light Sensitivity and Wide Dynamic Range: The EOS C100 incorporates the first Canon CMOS sensor designed specifically for high frame rate motion pictures, offering not only high resolution and shallow depth-of-field but also high sensitivity with low noise. Working together, Canon's Super 35mm sensor and DIGIC DV III Image Processor achieve a remarkably high signal-to-noise ratio that enables recordings with great detail and dynamic range even in minimal light. Users will appreciate the new camera's 12 stops of dynamic range at all ISO speed settings from 320 to 20,000.
- Canon Log Gamma and Wide DR Gamma: Canon Log Gamma preserves shadow and highlight detail for maximum editing and grading in post-production without degrading image quality; contrast and sharpness are subdued with characteristics similar to negative film. Canon Log Gamma emphasizes rich gradients from mid-range to highlights and realizes 12-stops of Dynamic Range (DR). At ISO850, Canon Log Gamma enables 5.3 stops of latitude above optimal exposure (and 6.7 stops below), broadening the available dynamic range in color grading.
- Multiple Recording Modes and Frame Rates: The EOS C100 supports shooting AVCHD bit rates up to 24Mbps (LPCM) at a maximum resolution of Full HD, 1920x1080. Frame rates of 60i, PF30, PF24, 24p, 50i, and 25p are all available for any number of production workflows. In addition, the 60i frame rate offers reduced rolling shutter artifacts for cleaner, more realistic images. The EOS C100 supports relay recording of long takes between dual SD cards or can write video to both cards for redundancy in the event of SD card failure. Pre REC mode buffers approximately 3 seconds before the tally light activates, instilling confidence that you have captured your take as you planned it.
- Full Manual Control and Focusing Aids: The EOS C100 offers complete manual control of each aspect of the recording process. Create and recall custom picture settings, camera functions, and display options. Built-in ND filters expand control over exposure, depth-of-field, and motion capture. Manual control of video and audio capture gives you the power to fully control what you capture.
The EOS C100 is equipped with several powerful and intuitive focusing aids in both the EVF and LCD monitor that make it easy to confirm critical focus distance; Peaking Modes and Magnify Focus Modes are available while in standby or while recording. The EOS C100 also features the Edge Monitor Display on the LCD Monitor; green waveforms display the overall focus of the scene and red waveforms provide focus feedback of the three focus check boxes visible on the LCD monitor.
- Compact and Ergonomic Design: The EOS C100 is designed with the single user in mind. It is 85% smaller than the Canon C300, 410 grams lighter, and it is based on a mobile core design that allows additional accessories to be attached depending on the situation. Strip the EOS C100 down for a "run-and-gun" style, or complement the camera with the full range of camera-mounted accessories. With a compact body, you can shoot dual-camera 3D without an outsized and cumbersome rig. Its light weight reduces user fatigue and allows even elaborate rigging systems to be mobile enough for a "crew of one." The removable accessory hand grip rotates 360 degrees for comfortable shooting positions, while customizable hardware buttons allow the EOS C100 to fit your own personal shooting preferences.
- One-Shot AF and Push Auto Iris: One-Shot AF assists in focusing adjustment with a dedicated button. Focus status is confirmed on the viewfinder and monitor.
- High Resolution EVF and Integrated LCD Display: Accurately assess focus, composition, and exposure with the 1.56 million dot-equivalent .24" Electronic Viewfinder with 100% coverage. The built-in 3.5-inch 920k dot LCD tilts 100 degrees for flexibility when composing tough perspective shots and rotates 180 degrees to protect the screen when not in use. Use the LCD display to review footage or to view the EOS C100's waveform monitor.
- Removable Hand Grip with XLR Inputs and Built-in Stereo Microphone:
The EOS C100 accepts a removable hand grip unit with built-in tally lights, stereo microphone, and dual XLR audio inputs for stereo recording. Audio is captured in 16-bit 48 kHz linear PCM format and each channel allows for independent gain adjustment. Attach a second microphone in the integrated mount, or power a wide range of audio capture devices with the dual XLR inputs with phantom power supply.
- AVCHD File Based Recording to SD Cards: EOS C100 records video to SD cards using AVCHD, a high-efficiency codec that has quickly become the standard in both the professional and consumer video markets. Maximum bit-rate is 24Mbps. Video files greater than 2GB are split into multiple files while recording, which are automatically joined together upon import using Canon Data Import. AVCHD video is widely supported across NLE systems and is the standard codec for Blu-Ray. The EOS C100 supports a variety of output media.
- HDMI Out With Time Code: In addition to recording to SD cards, the EOS C100 can output video via HDMI to an external display for monitoring purposes or to a separate, dedicated recorder. Time Code is superimposed on data output via HDMI, making it easy to sync additional video or audio to your footage in post-production.
- Remote Terminal: Remotely control the EOS C100 via its LANC-compatible remote terminal. Remote operation allows for single-person operation even in creative rigging situations.
Standard Definition or High Definition: High Definition
Power Supply (rated): 7.4 V DC (battery pack: BP-955), 8.4 V DC (DC IN)
Signal System: NTSC and PAL
Compression: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
Color Space: 4:2:0
Maximum Bit Rate: 24Mbps
Canon Log Gamma: Available
File Format: AVCHD
24 Mbps Mode: Linear PCM; 2-Channel; 16-Bit; 48 kHz
All Other Modes: Dolby Digital AC3
Built-in Microphone: L/R
External Audio Inputs: 2 - XLR inputs (Auto and Manual level settings)
External microphone terminal: (3.5 mm diameter)
Recording Channel Selection:
This is used to set the allocation of the audio channels:
CH1/CH2: The CH1 signals are allocated to the L output channel, and the CH2 signals are allocated to the R output channel.
CH1/CH1: The CH1 signals are allocated to the L output channel, and the CH1 signals are allocated to the R output channel.
CH2/CH2: The CH2 signals are allocated to the L output channel, and the CH2 signals are allocated to the R output channel.
ALL CH/ALL CH: Signals obtained by mixing the CH1 and CH2 signals are allocated to the L and R output channels.
XLR Mic Trimming: Available; -12dB, -6 dB, 0dB, +6dB or +12 dB
Recording Level Adjustment Range: - Infinity to +18dB
Phantom Power: Available; +48V
Headphone Adjustment: 16 Settings; Volume is muted at lowest setting
1KHz Tone: Available: Available; -12, -18, or -20 dB
Sensor Type: CMOS sensor (single-panel) equivalent to Super 35mm
Sensor Size: 24.6 x 13.8 (28.2 mm diagonal); 6.4 ?m cell pitch
Scanning System: Progressive
Number of Sensors: 1
Filter: RGB Primary Color Filter (Bayer Array)
Imaging Processor: DIGIC DV III
Effective Pixels: Approx. 8.29 megapixels (3840 x 2160)
Total Pixels: Approx. 9.84 megapixels (4206 x 2340)
Lens: Interchangeable: EF mount for compatibility EF, EF-S and EOS Cinema lens systems (non-PL).
Manual; One-Shot AF
Autofocus system is available; AF is dependent on interchangeable lenses
Max. Shutter Speed: 1/2000 sec.
ISO Range: 320 to 20,000 in 1-step and 1/3-step increments
ND Filter Settings: Mechanical ND filter system with option of clear, 2, 4, and 6 stops
White Balance: AWB, Kelvin setting (setting range: 2000K to 15000K), daylight, tungsten, set A, set B
NTSC: 60i, 30p, 24p
PAL: 50i, 25p
59.94 Hz: 0.3 lux
50 Hz: 0.25 lux
Viewfinder: 0.24-inch (0.61 cm diagonal) color wide-screen LCD with 16:9 aspect ratio; Equivalent to approx. 1.555 million dots (960 x RGB x 540), 100% field of view ratio
LCD Screen (Monitor Unit): 3.5-inch (8.8 cm diagonal) color wide-screen LCD with 16:9 aspect ratio; Equivalent to approx. 922,000 dots (640 x RGB x 480), 100% field of view ratio
Microphone: Stereo (electret condenser microphone)
Recording Media: SD Card x2 (Video, Still Images (JPEG), Custom Picture Data, Clip Metadata, and menu settings); SD/SDHC/SDXC Supported; MMC Cards are not supported
USB Terminal: mini-B, Hi-Speed USB
Video Terminal: 3.5 mm 4-pole mini jack out only
Audio Terminal: 2 - Balanced 3-pin XLR (Mic Level, Mic Level with phantom power and Line Level) in Handle unit
HDMI Terminal: Yes (Type A) Time code can be superimposed
AV Mini-terminal/Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
Operating Temperature Range:
Performance requirements: 0°C to 40°C, 85% (relative humidity)
Operating requirements: 0°C to 45°C, 60% (relative humidity)
Dimensions (W x H x D):
C100 (Body plus Thumb Rest):
Approx. 5.3 x 6.7 x 5.1 in (135 x 170 x 129 mm)
C100 (Body plus Grip):
Approx. 7.2 x 6.7 x 5.1 in (182 x 170 x 129 mm)
C100 (Body plus Thumb Rest plus handle):
Approx. 5.6 x 11.1 x 9.3 in (142 x 281 x 236 mm)
C100 (Body plus Grip plus handle):
Approx. 7.2 x 11.1 x 9.3 in (182 x 281 x 236 mm)
Weight (not including lens):
C100 Body: Approx. TBA lb. / TBA g
Grip: Approx. 8.1 oz. / 230 g
Handle Unit: Approx. TBA oz. / TBA g
BP-955 Battery: 7.8 oz / 220g
SD Cards x 2: 0.14 oz / 4g